December 4, 2020 by eklose
1937: Officials Gord Waddell (north) and William Banks (south) attend an annual fire school. 1931 – The water pumps of the #1 barracks are eliminated and firefighters are the first full-time paid firefighters of the commune. A meeting on 26 November at the fire station #1 is called to discuss the creation of a premises of the International Association of Firefighters (IAFF). Union Locals, which represents the city of Tri-City`s staff and firefighters, will be back at the negotiating table next year to renew its collective agreements. Director of Safety Devitt is retiring and is dismissed as Administrator of Volunteer Firefighters. He was replaced by A.C. Bell, who became the fire chief. 1935: Burnaby firefighters are reorganized and firefighters abandon the International Charter. 1952: Fred Blake is promoted to district chief for training.
The #3 fire station will be completed in December. Eleven additional firefighters are hired. 1945: Chief Waddell`s annual report, calling for a new fire hall at Willingdon and Hastings, was rejected, as was the request for additional firefighters. Chief Waddell and Chief Banks are both named fire safety officers. Council agreed to have a telephone installed at the fire station #2. Burnaby Lions Club gives the first inhaler (oxygen therapy) unit. 1925 – Law 458 is passed on April 5 to support fire protection at Ward 5 (North Burnaby) and generate 5,000 $US for the purchase of a combined chemistry and fire cart vehicle. On April 20, an American LaFrance hose cart will be installed at the Carleton and Eton pumps house. This pump house became the Fire Hall #1 and the operators, whose names were Ed Tugwood, Frank Noble, Tom Murphy, Robert Hansford and Bill Harris, were assigned additional duties as firefighters. Your first call is a brush fire at 4800 Hastings Street.
1946: A provincial government order required Burnaby to hire six additional firefighters. On October 9, Council approved the construction of a new fire hall in Willingdon and Hastings. The $28,000 contract is awarded to contractors from Bennett and White. Union representatives from Coquitlam and Port Moody Fire did not respond to requests for comment, but PoCo IAFF Local 1941 President Brandon Dougan told The Tri-City News that discussions had already begun with the city. It represents 78 unionized employees, including 72 firefighters. 1956 – #4 Barracks will be officially opened on June 14 by Ed Tugwood, Burnaby`s oldest living firefighter, for 26,117 $US. Twelve new firefighters are hired to work at the station. The president of the South Burnaby Kinsmen Club, Bill Gillis, presents fire Station #4 with a $500 resantor.
Chief Menzies encourages inspections of all public buildings, Burnaby`s first step towards pre-fire planning.