8:00 – 9:00– Breakfast and Registration. Please get your laptop plugged in and started up. Please connect to the wireless internet.
- Hopes and Fears: What are yours? For this session only
- Getting Started with GIS
- Why Geotechnology is Important! http://geospatialrevolution.psu.edu/
- Why GIS? Why now? – Head to this page: http://www.esri.com/industries
Read through some of these careers. Share with your neighbor. Tell us why we should be teaching and teaching with GIS now!
- Rope Activity
- GIS Basics
10:15 – 10:30 Break
Let’s look at some simple and neat webmapping tools created by ESRI. How will you use one of these in your classroom? Head to http://edcommunity.esri.com/software/webmapping/. Take a look at the Latitude – Longitude Finder, Sketch-A-Map, Elevation Profile Map Tool, Landsat Viewers, and Zipcode Lookup utilities. Which one to you like the best?
ESRI has published a number of Story Maps – a way to tell a story with a map. Check this page out, along with a few maps. Share with your neighbor and then share with the group. http://storymaps.esri.com
Quick Lesson Plan: What is a topic you teach that you could use one of these tools with next week?
11:00 – 2:30 (Lunch from 12:30 – 1:15)
Let’s Play for a Few Minutes http://storymaps.esri.com/stories/2012/treasure-hunt-cities/
Geographic Inquiry Process & Instructional Use of GIS
Like Scientific Method?
Like 5 E Lesson Plan Model? Engage, Explore, Explain, Elaborate, Evaluate
Explore ArcGIS Online When landing on http://www.arcgis.com/, we have a couple of options – sign in with an account, or scroll to the bottom of the page to get to the link for “maps for personal use” (Home). We will scroll down and explore a bit and then create a personal account.
- Explore the Gallery
- Web Maps
- Explore the Map Viewer
- Legend (Details)
- Add Layer
- Scale and Zoom
- Shift and Drag
- Create an account (click Sign In)
- Username: _______________________ Password: _________________________________
- Create an Editable Layer (Adding a popup window and a data point)
- Add data collected from a GPS (This requires heading to eklose.com/GIS)
- Download data file here, right click on derocho_wind and save to your computer.
Practice searching for data
Use ArcGIS as a student Complete the Exploring Africa “scripted” activity
Explore Instructional Materials at http://edcommunity.esri.com/
- Mapping Our World
- ESRI Ed Team You Tube Channel
- ESRI Training (Teaching with GIS: Introduction to Using GIS in the Classroom) http://training.esri.com
2:30 – 4:00
You will now create a lesson plan of your own using ArcGIS.com. The lesson plan can be access here: http://wvde.state.wv.us/socialstudies/gis.html
Email Completed Lesson Plan to Joey Wiseman, firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions? Contact Erika Klose, email@example.com